After completing my research book I decided that book binding it myself was the way I wanted to go. Last year I was disappointed when getting my book printed through Blurb and a lot of the bleeds and guidelines did not come through, it was for this reason I wanted to do my book within a more controlled setting where I could both print and bind it.
I started off by printing out my research book on 160GSM paper and then getting it cut in the book guillotine in order that it would become the dimensions I had selected. I had chosen to do a Japanese Stab Bound stitch to bind my book the most effective having explore both the stab and the pamphlet method and ruling that with the amount of pages and their thickness that the stab bound would hold the book together more strongly and open more easily.
Unfortunately I had somehow misjudged the size of my laser cut front cover and therefore had to make it an inset within the book. This works equally as effectively but I am upset that it did not work as my cover.
However overall I am really pleased with how my book looks and how it fits in with my theme. Next time I think I will make a cover for my book and verify it is definitely the right size before taking the plunge. Alongside this I think I will perfect more the binding process as I found it quite tricky when completing it. My holes I created were not so straight and it was complex to put the needle through to bind.
This is my finished research book.
Here is the PDF of my final research book : ResearchBook15-16
References for Book
Baudrillard J, Simulacra and Stimulation, 1994, The University of Michigan Press
Bachelard G, The Poetics of Space,1958, Presses Universitaires de France
Sparke, P, An Introduction to Design and Culture in the Twentieth Century, 1986, Unwin Hyman Ltd